Is LA County Affordable Housing Solution too Narrow of a Parameter?
The introduction to a proposal, added on Friday 12/1/23 to the agenda for the 12/5/23 LA County Bd of Supervisors meeting, includes unsubstantiated statistics, no parameters for a date or budget or attainable goal:
PROBLEM: "By some estimates, Los Angeles County is facing a shortage of approximately
500,000 affordable housing units."
CONCLUSION: "Therefore, it is imperative that County Departments support all institutions interested in developing affordable housing."
PROPOSED SOLUTION: 186413.pdf (lacounty.gov)
1. Host a summit for faith-based organizations (FBOs) and nonprofit colleges based in unincorporated LA County to help guide those interested in utilizing SB4 to build affordable housing on their underutilized land"
2. Provide linkages with technical assistance providers to support FBOs and
nonprofit colleges interested in building affordable housing on their properties.
3. Partner with FBOs to consider including their sites for future affordable housing
development with the County’s Land Bank* program.
The mandate for utilizing faith-based housing and nonprofit colleges comes from a lawsuit settled this year after three years in court between the County & L.A. Alliance.
"Partnership on City/County-owned Land. Under the settlement, the County will continue
to work with the City in making available to each other appropriate City- and/or County
owned land, located within the City, to create new interim or permanent housing units as
mutually agreed by County and City."
*Land Bank Program: "The purpose of this pilot program is to create opportunities for affordable housing preservation and production in areas along the Los Angeles River (LA River)" 172913.pdf
MEETING TELEVISED: Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at 11:00 p.m. on KLCS
BOARD HEARING ROOM 381B
Real-time participation includes in-person, by telephone, and online submission of comments.
Telephonic Public Comment
To listen only by telephone please call (877) 873-8017 and enter the access
code when prompted: Access Code for English: 111111 Access Code for
To address the Board during the live hybrid meeting please call (877) 226-8163
and enter Participant Code: 1336503 starting at 9:00 a.m. Please listen
carefully to the prompts for instructions on providing live testimony to the Board.
Written public comments may be submitted through our website at:
https://publiccomment.bos.lacounty.gov, which will become part of the official
More News from Los Angeles
- Repurposed Garments: A Return to Quilt Origins Memory quilts from shirts and t-shirts hearken back to early American use of garments, bedding, and remnants as a quilt base, unlike today's popular source being all new fabric.
- California Inventors/Business Week 9 2024 1048 patents were issued to California businesses and/or inventors including a device to treat cancer using evanescent waves! Most patents are issued to Northern California.