Centennial Institutions: Communities in the SFV and Better Homes & Gardens Magazine!
Better Homes & Gardens magazine celebrated their centennial in March of this year.
Interesting fact about this print and online magazine include:
- It was originally called Fruit Garden and Home.
- They built a first-of-its-kind "taste-testing kitchen" in 1928
- They built a half-acre test garden in the middle of Des Moines, Iowa, in 1998
- The interior designs in 1922 are actually still in vogue today - check out their article highlighting the timeless designs. 100 Years of Interior Design Trends and the Moments That Transformed Our Homes
- The highly recognizable red plaid cookbook began as a 10-cent, 56-page recipe pamphlet has become the go-to cookbook for nearly 40 million home cooks. BH&G 100th Anniversary: a History of Better Homes & Gardens Recipes
A world of changes have occurred since 1922, but similarities between then and now are outstandingly surprising. Enjoy the links to yesterday. Keep in mind these cities in the San Fernando Valley were established in 1922:
Winnetka was founded by Charles Weeks in 1922.
Woodland Hills was known as Girard when it was established in 1922. How a visionary scoundrel created Woodland Hills in the 1920s
Tarzana was suggested as the name by a L.A. Times reporter, in 1920, for the 540 acres Tarzan author Edgar Rice Burroughs purchased in 1919 and attempted to market as a development. The Origin Story of Tarzana, a Neighborhood Named After an Ape Man - LA Weekly
Granada Hills was originally called Granada when established in 1926 Granada Hills History - Granada Hills North Neighborhood Council (ghnnc.org)
Van Nuys was established in 1911 but there are still buildings standing!! 1922 – Here in Van Nuys "the town was founded in 1911 and named for Isaac Newton Van Nuys, a rancher, entrepreneur and one of its developers"