Detailed Historical Sanborn Atlas Collection at CSUN
Sanborn Fire Insurance Atlas Collection
About Sanborn Atlases
Produced by the Sanborn Map Company from the late 1860s to mid 1970s, Sanborn Fire Insurance Atlases highly detailed historical maps allowed insurance companies to assess fire risk for individual structures in urban and commercial areas throughout North America. Today they are a unique and priceless tool for researchers focused on historical geography, architecture, environmental history, the growth of cities and the social composition of urban areas.
Represented in the maps:
- Highly accurate building footprints
- Various other construction specifics, including
- Building materials
- Location of windows, doors and firewalls
- Roof composition
- Number of floors.
- Supplementary urban infrastructure details such as
- Names and widths of streets
- Presence of water mains, fire hydrants and alarm systems.
The CSUN Sanborn Atlas collection includes more than 4,100 individual atlases in a variety of formats covering over 1,600 cities and towns. Representing detailed sources of historic land use and built environment reference for urban areas in North America.
18111 Nordhoff Street Northridge, CA 91330 Mail Drop: 8249
Phone: (818) 677-5429
Sierra Hall, Room 189
More News from Los Angeles
- Repurposed Garments: A Return to Quilt Origins Memory quilts from shirts and t-shirts hearken back to early American use of garments, bedding, and remnants as a quilt base, unlike today's popular source being all new fabric.
- California Inventors/Business Week 9 2024 1048 patents were issued to California businesses and/or inventors including a device to treat cancer using evanescent waves! Most patents are issued to Northern California.